Thursday, March 26, 2009

Landing in AZ

Landing is usually my favorite part of any flight, it means I am finally done with the flying part but I can honestly say that was the worst flight I have ever been on... I am not a jet setter by any means but since I was 13 I have been on probably just over 2 dozen flights, but still.

Everything was going fine with this flight till we started our descent. We seemed to circle Phoenix for about 20 minutes and never seemed to be getting much lower and our pilot had warned us about the bad crosswinds.

We finally started to get lower and about a minute before touching ground I knew there was something wrong and so did everyone else! It felt like we are on a boat that was rocking back and forth at sea. I was sitting at the window thinking to myself, how on earth is he possibly going to land this and the ground is right there.

Instead of the usual touch down we had a nice slam down and then pick up and slam down again. It was pretty scary. Not to mention the fact that the plane seemed to be throwing itself down the runway with no signs of stopping. Finally we got to the place were we knew things were okay. The passengers exploded in applause.

The pilot came on the intercom and thankfully he had a sense of humor. He simply said, "Welcome to Phoenix, twice!" He then went on to joke about the next time we want to trap ourselves in a large metal tube with a bunch of strangers he hopes we think of Southwest and if we had a flight connecting to somewhere else, sorry we wouldn't be going anywhere. He also gave us some sound advice, "life is too short, be nice to each other!"

He came back on the intercom again while we were unloading and told us that a few flights a head of him and the flights after him were diverting to Tucson, but we braved the winds. My mom just told me that they shut down the air port. We landed at 8:55 and the man in this article was reporting at 9:10

Well I am here now and Brett wants me to take him to ASU... I don't want to go back out in this wind :(

1 comment:

mairzy said...

O_O GOOD GRACIOUS GIRL!!! I'm VERY grateful nothing bad did happen, that definitely sounds scary!!!