Saturday, September 6, 2008

Staying up with Grandpa Rex

This week has been an interesting start of school for me. It involved its usual struggles over financial aid, shuffling between work and classes, and forgetting to do homework assignments that were already due. But this week was interesting because I started working with my acedemic adviser on how to get me outta here in a year with a diploma! We discussed internships and I have to go back to make sure I have all the classes I need.

I am taking a class on "Health and the Aging process," upon attending that class I decided to pick up the Gerontology minor/certificate to my to do list to graduate. I only have to take 1 (maybe 2) more classes to fulfill the requirement, they will give me 200-500 dollars just for doing it and it will bump me just up to 120 credit hours I need in order to graduate. I would like to complete my internship working with the elderly as well!

I have extensive experience in working with people with disabilities and I figure I really enjoy doing what most people wouldn't want to do. Seeing as I didn't even realize until this last year (blind and ignorant I am) that people would dislike people with disabilities, be scared of them, judge and be prejudice against them.

I really enjoy elderly people. I have always found such an honor and beauty in the fact that they have had the privilege to live a long life. It is something I want to have and in my own personal opinion, those newly born and those close to death are the two closest things to God that I have found on this earth. I have been around newborns and have felt their peace and spirit and this week I have been around Daniels grandfather, Rex, as he is transitioning to pass.

He is 95 years old. He has always been a kind, good humored man with a big heart.

No comments: