Sunday, September 7, 2008

Saying goodbye to Grandpa Rex

Last night at about 12:07, I would say, as I had just finished writing (what is now because it wasn't going to be at the time) the last sentence of my last post, Grandpa Rex stopped breathing. Dan and I had offered to take watch over Grandpa last night to give Dan's mom and two aunts, Joan and Mary, a break so they could sleep. At 11 Dan and I gave Grandpa his medicine and made sure he was comfortable. I took his temperature and found it was 100.2 and his pulse was up in the high 80's and his is normally very low. His heart beat had also been weak and irregular.

Dan went to bed for just a little bit but decided to come back and stay with me in Grandpa's room and I am so thankful he did. Because of that decision and I would say the spirit we were able to get to Dan's mom and her sisters much faster than I believe either of us could have done alone.

Dan and I looked at each other for only a moment as to what to do. We both sat down our computers and went to Grandpa's side. I tried to find his pulse and it was very slow and weak and I also put my hand about 2 inches above his month and nose to feel if any air was coming out. I told Dan to go and he ran faster than I could ever have done. Within what seemed like 2 seconds Kathy, Joan and Mary were standing by their fathers side as he took 2 more gasps of air. We all were trying to find his pulse and held our hands on his arms and chest.

It was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. I have always been scared of death, but one thing I learned last night that death is lots of things, but one thing it was not was scary. I appreciate and love grandpa for all he has done. He taught me so much in the year I have known him about strength and independence (sometimes to the point of far too much independence) but he was a fighter, he was strong and he loved doing things for himself. I am so happy that right now he is with his sweetheart Donna. They have been apart for 21 years and I am so excited for both of them.

I hope Dan and I can have as an amazing a life as Donna and Rex have had. With trials and children and love.

4 comments:

RedFeather said...

I am so sorry for your loss but it is such a blessing that he had all his loved ones by his side. Take good care of Dan and your family and I will keep you guys in my thoughts.

Practically Perfect In Every Way said...

I am also so sorry for the family's loss of Grandpa Rex. What a sweet way to go, with family there on each side of the veil.

Thank you for sharing this personal experience, it was very touching.

Clarissa B. said...

oh brittany, this post and the one before both made me cry! im so glad that you were able to have that experience! how special. love you!

miss chaz. said...

Oh Brittany, I am so sorry. What an experience that must have been. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
P.S.
Your new blog picture at the top is SO BEAUTIFUL!!