Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tubing Down Provo River

The day after Lisa's wedding the Calkins Crew (minus Lisa and Larry) decided to go tubing down the Provo river. I readily agreed seeing as Dan's Mom was even going, I figured, how bad could it be!

Dan got off work early and we all started our drive up Provo Canyon. There was a terrible car accident that involved a SUV and 2 motorcycles that had the highway slowed down to a halt. We finally got up to the Tube Rental place and got out and ready to go. We all had to get suited with life jackets and it being late in the day, their was a large crowd getting to take the last bus up the canyon to the top of the river. I had only been tubing one time down in the Salt River in Arizona and you didn't have to wear a life jacket and the water barely moved at times. I was starting to get a little worried.

As we drove up the canyon the guy who was in charge was telling us the things we needed to remember. We needed to remember to go Left, Right, Right when we come to the three forks in the river and when we see the bridge we have to exit to the right and NOT go under the bridge. I was freaking out, now I had to remember things in order to ensure my safety! I was not too happy, Dan's mom didn't seem to excited either.

We get to the top and make sure most of the other passengers get in the river before us. I am nervous, its starting to get cold and cloudy! We get in the river and its absolutely freezing. I was nervous and audibly so and we all tried to stay together as a group and hold on to one another. I would loudly freak out whenever I got close to hitting the side and 8 people holding on in a big group caused us to drift the edges ALOT. Finally we all had to cut loose on our own and I was so scared. I did not want to be in front and started having a panic attack when it was evident that I was in front.

I fell out of my tube when I was wiggling around and was neck deep in freezing water trying to hold on to my tube and not die. The water was moving and I was having a hard time trying to get back into my tube. Thankfully Dan's Dad and Brother, Matt helped me get to the side and get back in my tube. Then Matt held onto my tube as I bawled because Dan was stuck behind. It was very sweet of Matt because I was so upset. I was having the worst time.

Finally I got off on my own, decided not to hang on to anyone and just work my way down the river. I paddled a lot to stay in the middle and ended up leading most of the way. I did just fine getting out at the bridge and making it to the right forks in the river and even getting out at the end. It was a panic provoking trip but I am glad we did it. I learned a lot about the Calkins Family and I enjoyed being able to learn about how they deal with somewhat stressful situations.
Dan scratched his angle pretty bad on a branch near the side, I am pretty sure he will always have a scar to remind us of that trip!

No comments: