Sunday, October 3, 2010

Big Girl Car Seat

After what feels like months of research, we finally picked out Ava's big girl car seat. I wanted a car seat that I could keep Ava rear facing in as long as possible. And since Ava is off the charts for height I went with this Radian car seat because it has the tallest rear facing capabilities and overall can be used till she is 53 inches forward facing :)

By law babies must be rear facing until they are at least 1 AND 20 pounds. Now the American Pediatrics Association wants to change this law to be till they are 2 years old at least. It always makes me sad to see kids who are front facing earlier than their first birthday. Its 5x safer for a child to be rear facing.

The first 2 things people always say to me when I bring up rear facing "but they are happier front facing" and "what about their legs"

I don't know about the happier part... hopefully if she only ever knows what its like to be rear facing she won't mind it until we turn her. And the legs thing makes me laugh. Kids sometimes stay rear facing till 4 or 5 and they just find places to fold or hang their legs. No big deal if you ask me.

Ok now that you probably think I am a crazy person (remember for a second, I was a Public Health Education major :) Here is Ava's new Radian 80 XTSL car seat!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE THIS CAR SEAT! So cute and a perfect fit!

alyssa said...

that car seat is awesome!!

miss chaz. said...

definitely not crazy...just a good mama!:)

she is so freaking adorable!

EM said...

Fancy new seat. I love your thoughts on this b/c I totally agree. She won't know anything different since she's always been rear-facing. And even if she did, it is SO much more safe. I'm with you girl, Tal is staying rear-facing.