Monday, September 24, 2012

Dance... not what we expected

Today was the 3rd day of Dance. I walked in and saw a different teacher and thought "well maybe this will be good" within 2 minutes I knew it wasn't good.  The class has ballooned up to 15 kids! with 1 teacher? they are all 1-2 years old. That is way too many kids to one adult.

Ava once again was having a hard time staying on her spot and within 15 minutes she had been put in time out 3+ times.  Finally the teacher yelled at her and I went in and grabbed her and took her out.  I went to the front to talk to the manager. I can fully accept that Ava is not ready for their style of class. However their style of class is not what I wanted for Ava and not what I expected.

I told her that I was unhappy with the teachers style of dealing with Ava and unhappy with the size of the class.  She told me first that the teachers were not supposed to exclude the kids from participating in teh class and that the class wasn't supposed to be bigger than 8 kids... and maybe today was a fluke with kids doing a make up class but I told her its been 10-15 kids each class. Today was the worst.

She kept apologizing and that's when I started crying. I HATE crying in public but I was frustrated.  Another one of the moms from the class came up to check on me be and just said "I'm sorry she's having a hard time" and gave me a hug. I appreciated that so so much.

In that time Ava had gone back to the dance class because she does want to be there but the other mom helped me get Ava back out. The manager felt bad and offered to have Ava try the Thursday class that only has 5 kids or to try the tumbling class which is more geared towards running around and playing instead of standing on a spot for 30 minutes.

All I wanted was a fun little class to get Ava out in a fun environment where she could learn to interact with other kids doing something fun. This is not how its turning out so we either find a new studio or wait till she's a little older and try again. 

No comments: